Friday, September 13, 2013

Why would a school teach the Constitution??

This morning I attended an assembly for my daughter in a new school district.  I don't know much about the school district or her new school since I am the other half of her blended family.  My daughter had a very soar throat this morning before school and she wasn't sure she was going to be able to sing when I took her to class.  She toughed it out and I am extremely glad she did.  I have to say I was really touched by this assembly for reasons you will soon find out.

They started by doing the Pledge of Allegiance.  Pretty common in our Country.

They then turned to the Texas flag and did the Texas Pledge.  Pretty common in Texas.
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."
They then turned back to the American flag and sang the National Anthem.  And I mean the 3rd, 4th and 5th graders along with 30 parents SANG the National Anthem.  It was just awesome!  At this point, I was crying.  There are not many schools who would teach this kind of patriotism to kids.  It is sort of glossed over.  I don't feel like this is common enough in our Country.

Then it got better.

My daughter's teacher got up and explained quickly the American history that led up to the Constitution.  And then they played his video while my daughter, her class and 2 other classes sang the chorus from this video.

A blast from the past!!

The video of my daughter singing the chorus.

Please pardon the horrible cell phone video.

My daughter is already a little patriot.  



At the end of the assembly they said the PTA had arranged for someone to come speak later to the 3rd and 4th grade about the Constitution.  My daughter is in the 5th and I wasn't able to stay but WOW!!  These teachers care about our kids!

I can't express how important it is for our kids to learn what their rights are by studying the Constitution!  Teach them to love their Country even if at times there are issues.  Teach them to be a patriot!  My daughter's school deserves a stinking metal the size of Texas for teaching these kids the Constitution and how important it is.  I am grateful for a teacher who loves the Constitution as much as I do.  I keep my pocket Constitution with my scriptures - that is how important I feel it is.

God Bless a school and teachers who feel this is that important to teach it to kids especially mine!!

2 comments:

Evenspor said...

Speaking of the constitution, there is an essay contest about the constitution for life and eagle scouts 14 and up:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/09/13/write-on-constitutional-essay-contest-gives-eagle-life-scouts-a-shot-at-cash/

Fishgutts said...

Awesome!!