Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Today's Young Men Need Righteous Role Models - Ensign Sept 2013 Page 24

There is a great article in this month's Ensign regarding good role models for the young men of our Church (and probably everywhere!).  I think this greatly includes their Scout leaders as we fit dual roles as their Church leaders and their Scout leaders.  I want to share a few quotes that stood out to me:
"It is important to have shared experiences with the youth so you are  on the same playing field. Instead of standing on the sidelines, you need to actively participate.  There is real power in shared experiences.  All members should be engaged with youth, regardless of their calling."
"Adolescence is [when individuals] develop a sense of personal identity: values, beliefs, roles, etc.  That is an exploratory process.  Part of the process is getting feedback from peers or parents or other adults and it can be really powerful if it is a respected and valued adult." 
"The reason why I had such success with these boys is that they knew I absolutely loved them, " Brother Sylvester said.  "They knew it--not because I said it but because I acted it.  I really focused on their having a relationship with their Savior.  I just felt that was the key for them to get through everything and to move forward in life and be successful."
I totally agree with the first one and to be honest have been told by other adults and other adult leaders that I shouldn't play basketball, play frisbee, go to their football games, go to their soccer games, make a quick appearance at a birthday party when invited, etc. because there needs to a "separation" between me and my boys.  How do boys know you care?  It is spell T-I-M-E.
Our second key relationship is with our families. Since “no other success can compensate for failure”  here, we must place high priority on our families. We build deep and loving family relationships by doing simple things together, like family dinner and family home evening and by just having fun together. In family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e,time. Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home. We talk with, rather than about, each other. We learn from each other, and we appreciate our differences as well as our commonalities. We establish a divine bond with each other as we approach God together through family prayer, gospel study, and Sunday worship. - Of Things That Matter Most, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2010.
 

 Make no mistake, I know I am not replacing Mom or Dad.  Their role is primary and more important than mine but my role is a support one.  I support the boy, support Mom and Dad and encourage the boy to go to Mom and Dad when they don't feel like they can.

No comments: