Thursday, June 13, 2013

High Adventure - So turned off by Scouting right now

I allowed my Scoutmaster (and the previous Venturing Adviser who is now the Bishop and best friends with the Scoutmaster) to manipulate me into combining High Adventure with Scout Camp with year.  I should have never let this happen!!  We have planned everything.  And because of that I am turned off by Scouting right now.  We have reinvented the wheel and it is my own fault for allowing it.  Granted, some of the stuff we have planned is going to be super fun and remind Scouts of the basics of Scouting but silly things like writing an emergency plan, emergency communication tree, etc are some of the lamest (yet important too) things out there.  Our Scout Committee (or lack there of) has been no help.  Our Bishopric was asked to fill out our Tour Plan and we ended up doing it.  So three guys, the Scoutmaster, the Varsity Coach and the Venturing Adviser, have done everything from the ground up.

Yes, the Varsity Scouts and Ventures will have High Adventure aspects to this trip.

We have picked a location that has suffered from a lot of tornadoes recently so we are also struggling with fall back plans.  And feeding 20 people with no kitchen 3 meals a day for 6 days.  And budget issues....blah, blah, blah, blah.  There are lots of little fires to fix.

This combined thing will never happen on my watch again......  I have a feeling my release though is around the corner though.

When I get home, I just want to catch my breath and do no Scouting for a month.


No comments: