Friday, June 14, 2013

Happy Flag Day



A copy of a recent letter to the editor..........

Stolen American flag

Published: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:45 PM CDT
Dear Editor:


I serve as a Varsity Coach (like a Scoutmaster) for the Boy Scout of America in the Little Elm area and have proudly for 5 years. We are affiliated with Circle 10 Council but most Scouts in Little Elm are affiliated with Longhorn Council.

There are many great, dedicated Scout leaders in the Little Elm area!! As a fundraiser our dedicated Scouts place American Flags in front yards of Little Elm Residents homes and Little Elm businesses on certain holidays. This fundraiser sends all of our Scouts to Scout Camp each summer as well as Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron, New Mexico every two to four years.

Imagine my surprise when my son was picking up his fundraising flags after the Memorial Day holiday to find one of the flags stolen. The flag was displayed at the SW corner of Walker and Woodlake for the Village of Woodlake HOA.

This theft got me to thinking, what kind of person would steal an American Flag from a Boy Scout worth about $10? I don't want to speak of this person's character as I don't know them but I will say that the American Flag means a lot to me and I want this flag returned.

The American Flag is something I grew up respecting greatly as my father served 26 years in the Air Force. My father sacrificed greatly to serve this country as well as many other great veterans in the Little Elm community. As a Cub Scout I was excited to salute the flag each meeting to show my respect. The symbol of the flag means freedom to all those living in the United States even if we don't like what they have to say or what they do. I am personally grateful for all those who have served our country.

Recently a friend of mine returned to Texas from his station in Afghanistan. As I drove away from his release ceremony, I wept for this man, his wife, his kids and all those who have left home to protect and encourage freedom throughout the world. I have felt their pain because my own father left my family for 18 months to serve abroad on an assignment the family couldn't go on. This doesn't even include the temporary duty assignments he fulfilled away from my family.

So I know military service and the American Flag mean a lot to me and it should mean a lot more to others. This is why the theft of a symbol that means so much to me has upset me so greatly. We just want our flag back!

If someone decides to have a soul and wants to return the flag, please have them contact me anonymously through the newspaper. I will gladly go where ever this flag is to return it to a Scout who respects the flag and is working his way to summer camp and Philmont.

No comments: