Thursday, May 2, 2013

You don't intimidate MY boss

This week has been a week of advancement nightmare.  I am embarrassed because this one is from my own unit.

A young man is on his second try on his Eagle Scout project.  First project was denied for lack of visible leadership in the project.  He didn't like that.

Second project:  When calling my boss to set up his appointment he called her by her first name and then told her one of his unit leaders said he could do that.  No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not in the South buddy!!!

Second project wasn't denied as he only brought the signature page of the Eagle Project paperwork to my boss to sign.  She told him she wouldn't sign it until she was able to look at his proposal.  He flipped and began to try to intimidate and manipulate her into signing the paperwork.  What he doesn't realize is my boss has a backbone.  And again (like my previous situation) the kicker, Mom started making excuses for the boy.  And I know personally that this boy's mentor (ex-SM) is doing a lot of the work for him.

My boss was upset that this boy showed no Scout Spirit in this process.  He wasn't very "helpful, friendly, courteous or kind".  I know we shouldn't expect these boys to be perfect and I don't think she does either but you don't flip out and you sure as heck doesn't try to manipulate someone to get what you want.  Not cool.

This is not a God-complex but you can get more things done with sugar than you can with vinegar (a lesson I must relearn at times - my mouth gets me in trouble).  A boys attitude will determine a lot.  I have plenty of boys who I know didn't read the paperwork come to me with pretty easy mistakes.

I don't think he realizes that my boss will be doing his Eagle Board of Review and this will probably (OK, it will definitely) come up at his Eagle Board of Review when it comes time to discuss his Scout Spirit.  You can be failed on Scout Spirit alone.

He text me after meeting with my boss asking if there was someone else who could sign off on his project.  I told him no.  (I don't sign off on my unit's Eagle Projects.  I am too close and sometimes people don't listen because they know me [i.e. this boy's first Eagle Scout Project]).

Boys who sign the following paragraph should know better.  This paragraph is a great way to hold these boys accountable for their actions or lack of them.

On my honor as a Scout, I have read this entire workbook, including the "Message to Scouts and Parents or Guardians" on page 4-4. I promise to be the leader of this project, and to do my best to carry it out for the maximum benefit to the religious institution, school, or community I have chosen as beneficiary. - Page 2-4 of Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook
I know I shouldn't take these things personally or as a reflection on myself but I do.  I have tried to help but my concerns have been ignored.   This kid is a good kid even though at times he doesn't act like it.  What teenager acts good all the time?  I have tried to mentor but................

He is meeting with her again tonight and hopefully (PLEASE!!!) he took last night as an opportunity to learn.

No comments: