Friday, April 19, 2013

Wood Badge 107 Staff

As I stated a while back, I will be staffing Wood Badge again and our first Staff Development is Saturday.  Saturday has taken forever to get here as I was asked to staff about 8 months ago.  This time I will be the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader.  This will be a Sunday observant course.  This time will be much different than last as I was very hands on with the Antelope Patrol previously and this time I will mostly be assisting staff with their needs and presenting in group settings.

I am super excited.  I have to say, minus having teaching moments with my Varsity Scouts where I see the light come on when explaining something to them or doing Eagle Board of Reviews, Wood Badge has been a huge opportunity to not only serve but also learn.  I absolutely love Wood Badge!


There is only one thing I am fearful of.  I am fearful of comparing courses or expecting things to be the same as my last course.  I strive on routine.  I had one heck of a time last course.  Two of my fellow Troop Guides and I clicked really well together.  I wish they were coming with me.  They were good.  I mean, they were really, really good Troop Guides and saw Wood Badge for what it was.  They cut through the crap that others tried to create and were well grounded.  Rob and Chris are great men!!  We shared a lot of pain together preparing for the course and were able to focus on what their participants needed!  I am friends with one of the Troop Guides and it is his first time staffing.  He is very nervous and hopefully

OK, I guess I am fearful of something else.  I have staffed twice so quickly, I am also scared I won't get the opportunity to staff again.  Stupid fear........  I don't want my Wood Badge magic to go away.  I want to be involved.  But with the Council's desire to get rid of "old school" Scouters and not allow the same staff to staff over and over and over again, I probably won't staff again for a very, very long time.  I do not want to make this course about me.  I want this course (as it should be) to be about the participants and what they learn and are able to do.  I don't want to get in the way.  I don't want to be a distraction!!

If you haven't gone to Wood Badge, go!!  What the heck are waiting on?  It will make you a better parent, a better spouse, a better Christian, a better Scouter and a much better person if you apply the things you learn at Wood Badge to your life.


No comments: