I can't even begin to explain how much I support this idea especially in Varsity Scouting. If boys are taking the lead of their program, they will flourish. It won't always be pretty but it will work. And boys will learn and grow. On the other hand if you tell them what to do and create a "classroom" pass off this, pass off that situation, they get bored and don't want to be there. Scouting is supposed to be scouting.
Stop doing rank requirements.That’s right, stop doing requirements for ranks. Instead focus on doing the things Scouts do.What do Scouts do?Scouts go camping and while they are camping they-
- Cook the food that they selected, purchased and packed
- Light campfires
- Set up tents and tarps.
- Build things with sticks and string.
- Learn how to experience the natural world without leaving a trace.
- Use edge tools safely.Scouts go swimming and boating and while they are swimming and boating they-
- Learn how to swim better
- Learn how to paddle a canoe or a rowboat
- Learn about safety in and on the water.
- Learn how to aid people in distress on or in the water.Scouts are participating citizens, and as participating citizens they-
- Learn about their community and the way it is governed.
- Serve others in various ways.
- Learn how to responsibly use resources and technology.
- Act and react to others with decency and character.
- Learn about their nation it’s history and traditions.Scouts go on hikes and when they go on hikes they-
- Read and follow maps.
- Use compasses and GPS units to guide themselves.
- Learn and practice safe hiking skills.Scouts help other people and when they help other people they-
- Render first aid.
- Respond to emergencies.
- Support the needy.I could go on but you get it by now, right? When Scouts do things Scouts do they advance as an after-effect. When Scouts ‘do requirements’ they check things off in a book.Do what Scouts do.
Friday, August 3, 2012
What do Scouts do?
I 100% stole this from ScoutmasterCG.