Thursday, June 15, 2023

Is the new stuff better than the old stuff? Nope.

This blog has been dead for 5 years basically. I have continued to mentor young men at Church still and still actively mentoring Scouts at a District level and at a LDS level if that makes sense. Still did a Wood Badge course here and there in that time as a staff. Tried to die physically....seriously. Quit a job. Got a job after a long vacation. I mean, it has been a whirlwind when you put 5 years into a paragraph.

But what isn't shocking is my experience with the new youth program in the Church. Get my ex-communication paperwork ready. It isn't working. Vague programs get vague results. Home programs where parents were used to barely stopping long enough to throw their kids out of the car for me to make sure they earned a merit badge are still expecting results from me OR they still doing nothing. More the latter than the first. I ask my boys what they are doing. Those who do are still doing (very, very limited). Those who don't still don't. I encourage parents. No answers to emails. OK. Not my worry then. I don't have to worry about them not earning anything at a Court of Honor. 

My adult friends who Scout are creating their own Scout units and running them better than LDS units were before. Even girl units (insert gasps here). I think this move has probably benefited them the most. Their hands have been unchained by protocol and Church rules. Instead of leaders not knowing the programs, they don't need to know the programs anymore because they are not even involved anymore. Scouts without Church leaders!

Something has to change though with the Church Youth program that doesn't have a name and doesn't really have a goal. Not sure what it is but the parents and the youth don't know how to use it even though I do and all they have to do is literally keep doing what they are doing and just make small goals in life that apply to the current program. I believe it is inspired. It just isn't being used or advertised by the Church right. I can't sign off on anything. The parents are not doing anything. So where does that put us? 


Houston. We have a problem.


2 comments:

Russ said...

I have a son that is a scout age. I have fond memories of Scouting when I was at that age. However, I support the decision of the Church to leave the Scouting program, just as my son was about to enter Scouts. Fortunately, we are in a good ward and he has good leaders. This summer they did an awesome high adventure, so I'm not worried. I do worry if there are people that aren't in a ward with good leaders, though.

robmba said...

Now what happens if a youth is also in a scout troop and sets some of their church goals related to earning merit badges or rank advancements?