Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Environment of Fear

As I have managed people for a little over a month (now it has been almost two years--that is how long I have been working on this silly post) I am amazed by how people are scared of making mistakes. Sometimes this pressure is placed on themselves unnecessarily. Sometimes others seek to control others by placing this pressure of fear so they can (appear to) have more power and control. We are only controlled by those we allow to control us.




Fear of failure is a good thing when limited. Fear of making mistakes isn't a good thing. In fact, it breeds more mistakes. The more you stress the more you screw up.

Making mistakes is OK. Learning from them makes them even better.

Great article on being scared of everything and a great way to parent your kids.
Great article on fear in the workplace!!

Fear is in Scouting. We ask them to do a lot of stuff they have not done before most of all to have confidence in themselves.

I gotta admit, there is a lot of fear in my life right now. Most of it as a parent. Fear that a child will cut off ties because they don't like the way you parent and have two homes to live in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After working in the same company for more than 4 years, I was finding it difficult to leave the company and search for another job. The company was not providing better growth neither in terms of salary nor in terms of knowledge. Fear of going into the market and search for a new job was making me go mad. While on a trip with friends to Kheerganga Trek (its a short trek in India) I somehow gathered courage and resigned sitting on the cliff. That was surely my best decision in life so far. Its 3 year now and coming out of that fear was so relieving.