Saturday, August 8, 2015

Equally Yoked

In every relationship we have, we carry a yoke. It helps tie those we have a relationship with and us together. You have to work together or the relationship usually doesn't work. At times we motivate our friends and at times they motivate us. With the yoke, you can't successfully move in different directions. It becomes a standoff. 

At times in my life, I have felt like this friend or that friend isn't someone I want to be tied/yoked to. I feel like they are purposely slowing me down or just carrying the wrong attitude which causes issues. Sometimes I pull the yoke off and return to it later in life. Occasionally I pull that yoke off and I know I won't be putting it back on. Sometimes this is a painful decision and sometimes it is a relief. I know at times I have been extremely difficult to be yoked to whether in friendship or marriage. In fact, remembering back to who I have been over the past 40 years I am surprised I even had friends at times (especially in my first 30 years of life). Though that has lead me now, I think, to be a better friend and to be a more patient person especially when I look at my issues and the patience/grace that has been shown to me by others.

The LDS Church often uses this analogy to describe marriage. I don't know how I feel about being called an ox. :P  In all honesty though the thought of oxen pulling to get where they are going is pretty awesome. An ox is not a weak animal. In fact, oxen are bests of burden - they are work horses. 

The principal of being yoked together though is right on. Two people working together going in the same direction with the same purpose.


If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. #goruck

No comments: