Monday, March 3, 2014

Watching out for each other

This past month I attended my son's District JV Wrestling match.  Wrestling tournaments are 6 minutes of action followed by hours of waiting around for your son's next tournament.  There were about 6 other schools there.

It was an interesting school night meet that didn't end until almost 11 PM.  I left about 8 PM after my son lost his last match.  I am very proud of him.  He again tried a new sport and you can see a real huge difference in skill from the beginning of the season to the end of the season.

I brought a magazine to read but at some point I was bored.  I started looking around.  I noticed a wrestler who obviously had some kind of disability.  He was sitting off in a corner.  His teammates each took turns sitting by him and talking with him.  It was great to see this team surround one of their members and make sure they feel like they are part of the team.  When this boy wrestled one of his own teammates, his teammates scored just enough points to win while allowing the boy to score points himself.  He didn't just let him win; he made him work for it.

Sometimes winning isn't anything.

No comments: