Friday, January 17, 2014

All Quiet On The Western Front - Article from Backpacker


(Photo by Brian Mockenhaupt)

I have a love of hiking.  I have wanted to be a hiker for years.  Still not there.  Love to do it but am not "good" at it.  I subscribe to Backpacker to pick up tools to make it easier on me.  I love the military too and so this article hit home for me in both of my loves - hiking and the military.

May 2013 had an article that I just read through and through.  It is called All Quiet on the Western Front.  Please forgive their HORRIBLE website but read through the article.

CONCLUSION:  This is exactly why the BSA uses the outdoor as part of their program.  It gets you away, it gets your head clear, it provides a physical challenge to the body making it stronger and tougher which results in a clear head, a return to basics, etc.  I could go on and on about extended hiking trips.  I wish there was a way to do it as an LDS unit(s).

No comments: