Friday, January 25, 2013

Texting - It is the bees knees

When I first came into my calling as Varsity Coach, I had the feeling that texting my boys was extremely inappropriate until some discussion with some adults and my wife.  I didn't want to do it but I couldn't get anyone (including some adults) to respond otherwise.

I used to get 10 text message on meeting nights asking "What are we doing?" That quickly drove me bat crazy so I started telling boys and parents to call the Team Captain.  I still get the occasional request but nothing like it was before.  The boys are also doing a better job of planning and communicating the plan to our Team.

So that leaves me with texting.  Parents don't hardly open emails and don't answer the phone.  I know with their boys it is all about texting (impersonal but the easiest way to communicate to get a response).  I am not only personalizing the message, I am personalizing the delivery of that message to the receiver of the message.  I sure don't like it but it is what it is.

No comments: