Monday, October 15, 2012

The ultimate act of service

As I am sure you know if you read this blog, you know I did the Tough Mudder a couple weekends ago.  I will write more about it later but I came by to a huge surprise and I hate surprises.  I was gone for about 28 hours down to the Austin, TX area. And I came home to..........

A new home office in my garage.  I work from home and my office was in my very small living room.  My unit's Scoutmaster has been working for two months to create a home office for me.  He along with the Venturing Adviser built a 10 x 10 home office for me in 28 hours including duct work, new insulation and texture and paint.  My brother in law helped along with 2 members of the Bishopric.

I can honestly say I have not had an act of service done for me in a very, very, very long time.  And this tops any act of service that I have seen done in years.

I told my children that we need to find a way to pay these men back for their humbling act of service.  This got back to a member of the Bishopric's wife that teaches my daughter in Primary and she "confronted me" in the library yesterday.  She told me "You have already paid for that office with all the service you perform.  My husband has a man-crush on you and is always speaking of you and the service you performed."  As if I already didn't feel unworthy of this over the top act of service, this just confirmed that I didn't deserve this.  I am just a pickle.  I am all in.  I am just very dedicated to what I commit to do.  My word is my bond.  I do what I promise to do.

It was a wonderful act of service and I have spent more time looking for time to perform service myself.  If anything, this has reminded me how much more service I should and could be doing.  I am now more actively looking for things to do for others.  I know it won't be a home office because I just don't have those skills but hopefully for those I perform the act for, it is their "home office".

No comments: