Sunday, June 10, 2012

Getting the Scout Committee working again

I am part of a Yahoo LDS Scouters group and the discussion (again) came up about the lack of Scout Committee help............

The conclusion was get the Bishop to call his wife as the Scout Committee Chair and you will never, ever have to worry about the Committee playing second fiddle to any other organization in the Church.

Great idea.  Wonder if it would really work.  Seriously wonder.  

Our Scout Committee Chair asked after we had already asked him to come up with a fundraiser and waiting to hear from him.  We told him how much money we needed and what ideas we had.  We never heard from him so we proceeded as Unit Leaders (Troop, Team and Crew) without him.  We came up with the idea and even funded it up front with personal money.  Finally a week before we started placing flag subscriptions, he emailed asking what he could do to help us.  It was a bit frustrating.  We could have used him months ago when we finally decided without his input on what we were going to be doing.  

I seriously wonder how I would do if I were Scout Committee Chair (I would like to try after my release).  I wonder what kind of road blocks and issues I would come across.  I know at least I would know what the processes and procedures are so that is one huge road block removed.  I guess the issue is how do you get people to do things when they are called/not-called.  Parents should be functioning whether they are called or not because it is in their son's best interests that it does.  But with the LDS faith, being "called" becomes an issue.  I always quote this scripture when this issue comes up:

For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is acompelled in all things, the same is a bslothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.  D&C 58:26
It still amazes me that people have to be asked to do things or don't even ask "What can I do to help?".  I think this is sometimes where we hear the term "super-Scouter" (Troy discusses here and Evenspor discusses here and here) because some don't wait around like others do to receive instructions.  We just jump in and never look back.

It is funny that when doing a scripture search for the verse above, there are tons of scriptures from the Lord instructing his people to not do anything unless He commands them.  Could this verse be a "high law"?  Just a un-educated thought.  No need for discussion on my gospel thought.  

No comments: