Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wood Badge Staff Development #3

This past Saturday I attended my 3rd Staff Development for Wood Badge.  I presented Listening to Learn to a small staff Wood Badge Patrol for practice.  Added pressure came when one of the creators of the Wood Badge training from National actually sat in on my presentation.  I got good feedback ~ mainly that I need to make sure I get through the presentation on time and while my stories are very good, they may be a bit too long.  Whether I agree or not, I will take all feedback into consideration.  I am just refining my skills prior to the actual thing.  I will present Communication next month.

My wife has given me the most useful feedback as I have practised on her.  She tells me how it is.

I am still nervous about all of this.  There is such a time crunch when it comes to teaching at Wood Badge.  I remember my head spinning at Wood Badge.  No sleep.  Having the idea of tickets raise my blood pressure.  I want to sort of be a calming force at Wood Badge for my participants.  Though nervous, I am still very excited to get a third bead and actually help these participants cause change in Scouting.  7 participants times 5 tickets is 35 tickets!  That is a lot of change for the good!

I am also excited for three leaders that I personally know to come to Wood Badge.  These three will have 15 tickets within our Troop, Team and Crew!  I look forward to this change.  I look forward to seeing what kind of ideas they have to make us better!  I am very excited to see them learn and grow.


2 comments:

Tory said...

When I was a troop guide last year I found that keeping within my time limit was probably the most difficult part of the teaching. I think I did pretty well (except on the Leave No Trace part), but there was one factor I hadn't considered when planning my lessons--participant interaction. I had one patrol member who had a story for everything, and they didn't always relate to the topic. Keeping him on track was essential for me to cover the material and end on time. But being thoroughly familiar with the material made it easier to adjust when necessary.

Fishgutts said...

Everyone knows a railroad-er. This is one of my fears. I don't want people taking me off topic. I remember going to WB and being so scared that I didn't wanna say anything or bring any attention to myself. I hope I get a ton of those.