Monday, January 9, 2012

Advancement Heaven

Last night I did an Eagle Board of Review for a boy who 2 weeks before his 18th birthday came to me to sign off on his Eagle Project.  Normally I would think this boy had was a last minute kid but after hearing his story at his Board last night I was touching.........almost to tears.

John (not his real name) went to his Crew Adviser at 16 7/8 year old and told him he wanted to be Eagle.  His leader was bluntly honest with him that he could do it but it was going to be tight fit before his 18th birthday.  (Last night he even admitted to the Board and the boy that he had written him off for earning Eagle.)  During his time between talking to his Crew Adviser and yesterday, he earned 17 merit badges.  His parents also went through a NASTY divorce.  So much so that he, his sisters and his mother went from very wealthy to very poor.  He picked up a job and each month turned his check over to his Mom until she was back on her feet.  This just tore me up inside.

We did something different and had someone Skype into the Board though we had 4 members actually there plus me.  It was great.  We placed the iPad on a music stand and pointed it at the boy and gave this Brother a chance to participate in questioning the boy.  This Brother also flew John up on his own penny to Connecticut from Texas to ensure that he fulfilled his nights of camping.

This boy has a lot of people who love him! 

So instead of an advancement nightmare, I had an advancement dream.  I have 3 young daughters but I am not scared to say that this is the kind of young man I would want my daughters to date and marry.

No comments: