Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bringing a dog on a campout

I should have known better.  Our Troop went camping and the Team was supposed to go with them.  The Team never showed up.  But a young Scout and his Dad showed up to go together.  The boy has a learning disability and the Dad helps keep him on task.  I didn't notice the dog in their truck until we had already left and were on the road.  I just shook my head.  80 minutes later we were at the Camp.  The caretaker of the camp looked at me, looked out the door and asked "Is that a service animal?"  I told him it was not.  I think because there were not a lot of campers at the camp he told us "Well for this weekend, that is a service animal."

I wish I had had the gut to tell this father to take the dog home. 

The Dad kept the dog tied up most of the time but in the morning he let the dog roam.  At one point while our boys were working on the Firen' Chip the dog took off.  I watched as a pack of Cub Scouts came walking down the road.  My insides shook.  The Dad tried calling the dog back.  The dog wouldn't listen.  He kept going at this pack of Cubs.  I was freaking out.  I heard the Cub Master yell for the dog to be called back.  He picked up his staff and was ready to swing on the dog to protect his kids.  He would have been in his right to hurt "our" dog.  Luckily the dog made a big loop around the group and the Dad was able to capture him.  He tied him for the rest of the campout in his truck.

The good news is that the dog hasn't been back on any campouts.  And if he tries to return, he will be asked to return to his dog house. 

No comments: