Monday, February 21, 2011

No matches.......

This weekend we went camping at the beautiful Camp James Ray on the Texas Oklahoma border.  We had one Varsity Scout, 4 Scouts and one 11 year old Scout and his Dad.  The boys did everything.  We didn't do a thing for them.  They led themselves, they set the program and we followed their lead.  We gave advice when they asked.  It was a great use of the Patrol Method. 

Saturday's lesson was on fire building.  I had purchased some magneseum matches a few months back and whipped those out for the boys to try.  My Assistant Coach helped me show the boys how to use them.  In 18 minutes my AC and I had started two fires but we were unable to get our twigs started for a fire.  The boys mocked us.

So their turn came around and at 20 minutes they had not been able to start a fire.  So I told them they could use one match.  Both teams stared at me.  I asked "Don't you have any matches?"  Not a single boy had brought a match.  I couldn't believe it.  A couple boys told me that their parents don't allow them to have matches.  I couldn't believe it.  What is a Scout without a way to start fire? 

The wind was working against them and they allowed the wind to blow out their matches.  5 minutes later we gave them one more.  In the end we gave them 5 matches and both were able to start a fire and burn a string that we had placed above their fire pits.  They were discouraged at times but in the end gathered their wits about them and were able to start the fire.

No comments: